Thursday 12 June 2014

HI, I'M NAN







Hi,
I’m Nan and this is my Buddy.

Growing up as a kid in a Cantonment area had many advantages. It still has those colonial style bungalows and come with a thick green flora and fauna. The spacious compounds everyone had, helped us to have our own flurry and feathered pets.

On one summer vacation I was presented with a single pellet-loading air gun and I just could not wait to pull the trigger. Next morning after a hurried breakfast I went out with my gleaming prized possession clutched tightly.  I did not have to go far, on a low branch were perched two bulbuls singing. After aligning my gun sight, which took an eternity, I downed one. Excited I took the dead bird to my Mom and in one breath told her of my proud achievement. Mom was quite for some time and when she spoke in a soft voice said, those birds were like your dad and mom, two partners.  Imagine if someone shot and killed one of us, what would the other partner or their children feel?
That summer, long ago, I learnt a most valuable lesson in my life from my mother, 
Love and respect all God’s living creatures.

After I flew the coop, my travel around touched all the four cardinal points. This gave me an opportunity to observe different cultures, meet new people and of course being a huge fan of dogs, wormed my way to observe their pets and study their pet protection laws.

 A good trend I have observed and which is catching up in most of our metro cities and small towns is that, people are getting more health conscious with more outdoor activities and good living. It's also encouraging to see many are realizing the benefits of having pets as their companion.

But we still do have a minuscule pocket of people who would ask ‘why should you have a dog?’ What would their answer be if you asked them ‘why do you have children?’ Then there is another breed who believe in ‘if the Jones have the Joneses must have’. 
For them pets are just ornamental pleasures to flaunt and keep them confined to a dingy space, caged or tied to a chain with no human interaction. This is inhuman and a cruel act. 

Every second, there is an enormous number of animals suffering pain worse than you or I could imagine, and this is throughout the world at the hands of humans.
Many countries have their Animal Welfare Board and laws to prevent abuse and cruelty to animals, but they need to have more teeth. We need increased awareness, get educated and a need based support against cruelty to animals. 

This blog is to educate and enlighten everyone on the joys and benefits, the love and compassion one shares and the responsibilities of having a pet dog. This blog is a platform to unite everyone and an opportunity to share your views, thoughts and experience with each other. Age, sex, education no bar,

So come and join me and let us travel along step by step into the wonderful world of dogs.
I think if the potential benefits it will bring to anyone who reads this, it will be worth it. 
One of the greatest gifts you can give anyone is the gift of attention.

And who says, your soul mate has to have two legs?



No comments:

Post a Comment